To Ride or Not to Ride in Gear....That is the Question?

An obvious answer for me to the title question, but we all have an opinion.

Riding gear is subjective for all motorcyclists, depending on each person's needs. The choice of motorcyclist's gear available these days is so vast that if you are enjoying riding there is a jacket, helmet, boots etc designed to meet your needs. Mainstream brands learnt quickly to expand their ranges of items for customers adding casual wear items, functional items, seasonal items, etc…..hey the list goes on. Clever marketing creates an instant image and style for those who want to own the road, posing or riding. However, functionality is something you pick up though through riding many years in a variety of situations.

My interest in all things Harley, cruisers, retro and vintage bikes has defined what I like to wear on and off the road over the years and I think as I’ve grown older (and perhaps wiser!) my taste has broadened with the choices on offer.

When living in the UK climate dictated so often a warm jacket, waterproof with a removable liner.
Full face helmet with flip front chin guard, waterproof touring boots, plus the ability to carry a full waterproof set on the bike on long trips in the UK due to the unpredictable British weather. All a must.

Living in France and riding year round with a variety of climates has added yet a further dimension to my riding gear choices. The extreme heat of the summer here invites bikers to ride sleeveless whilst visiting the area. An individual's choice I know. We have a Moto Camp site nearby and I recently noticed several visiting bikers simply wearing T-shirts each time they rode out. Whilst I understand the temptation, the unexpected can and does happen: gravel rash or skin burns are unpleasant and don’t look cool! Even when the roads are empty and you believe you’re invincible to the elements things can happen which are out of your control. It’s funny because it appears to be mainly the cruiser guys who take the risks by not wearing the appropriate safety gear when there is more functional gear out there than you can shake a stick at!

Riding through the Tioga Pass

I’ve ridden in the extreme cold early morning mountain air in Northern California to the extreme afternoon heat in Arizona where the temp gauge showed 120 degrees. Riding without long sleeves would dehydrate you, as any perspiration expires immediately. An old biker in Arizona advised me to wear a helmet and a vented leather jacket. I took his advice as I poured water into my helmet at each stop to keep my head cool whenever refuelling.

Riding in the extreme Arizona in High Temperatures

Like many experienced riders and friends I have ridden with over the years owning a few jackets, helmets, gloves, boots etc is normal. For many years I would only wear a certain brand but diversified to meet my needs. Having owned many jackets over the years I’ve ended up with an eclectic mix of new and used jackets as required. Short and long boots, open and full face helmets, the list goes on. The key factors remain the same for me. Quality lasts. An old pair of favourite boots is eventually replaced by a newer pair which soon become the new favourite and so it goes on. Technology with riding gear has improved so much and so has design and functionality.

Having dealt with many collisions in my former career, I suppose I’m biased to wear appropriate riding gear regardless of how hot the day happens to be. My recent collision was the first after approximately thirty years of a 37 year motorcycling passion, so I guess it was a stark reminder that none of us are invincible when riding. An elderly couple drove into the back of my bike. Interestingly my insurance company asked what I was wearing,  I hadn't suffered any injuries. I was happy to list the equipment, albeit there was nothing special or different from that which any sensible motorcyclist would wear. The insurer's solicitors advocating 'claim culture' insisted that there was a potential claim!  I’m not interested in that game! Simply get me back on my bike and in the saddle so I can ride!!

It's worth wearing the correct gear so you don't get caught out!






Comments