New friends, old friends, congestion and 'Snakes in the Road'....Day2

Day2 - 450miles

Congestion on a Monday morning on one of the UK's busiest roads doesn't make for great riding.  Heavy goods vehicles overtaking on two lane carriageways should be banned. Other motorists swerve to avoid collisions by the impromptu overtaking of heavy goods vehicles. Scary for any rider concentrating on the morning mayhem. Poor road surfaces add caution and slower speeds are dictated by speed cameras and heavy traffic compared to the average cruising speed of 80mph in France. Thankfully the weather for the UK was sunny, dry and hot which always helps when riding distance.

My day was essentially made up of tasks: essential shopping which included Carnuba Paste for the bike and a large supply of our favourite tea bags to take home to France. This enabled me time to visit old friends at Pallant House in Chichester. http://outsidein.org.uk and to meet my Dr's appointment ironically which was an assessment for the renewal of my driving licence. No sooner had I completed my tasks I made the arduous 135mile return trip straight back to the EUROTUNNEL. I was looking forward to my return journey.

As is customary when using the tunnel bikes are syphoned to the side to wait as all cars are loaded first. I pulled up to another couple riding a Harley Road King Classic. They were a lovely French couple called Sylvie and Michel. We chatted and Michel asked if I were travelling with the eight BMW riders lined up behind me. I laughed intimating they were not interested in talking to a Harley rider. He laughed making a funny gesture and I knew we would get along.
During the crossing we agreed we'd ride together before going our separate ways. I pointed out that I was desperate for fuel and Michel assured me that he too would need fuel in 20kilometres.

We cruised at 80mph for what seemed like eternity. The 'LOW RNG' warning light appeared on my consol and I knew that within 10miles I would be sitting at the side of the road with an empty tank. I pulled alongside Michel and pointed at my fuel tank, 5 miles further down the road the mirage of the elusive fuel station appeared. The feeling of euphoria sat well in my mind as we both filled our tanks to the brim. After a brief chat and saying our farewells we continued onto the autoroute riding together for another forty miles before waving at each other as we both diverted onto our separate routes.

Riding into the dusk is magical, with the sun behind you and a glorious sunset in both of your mirrors and a cooler temperature hitting your face. You simply know you're alive.


I continued to keep riding into the night when it started to rain hard. How a riding experience can totally change. On a few occasions I felt my rear wheel slip on what seemed like snakes on the road. These snakes are thin strips of road repair which are very shiny and smooth in the wet. You have to take great care, because losing control is not something any rider wants to happen. 


Comments