'Velocity Red' - My Dyna Switchback FLD

As the name suggests my bike is simply called 'Velocity Red' after the designated 2016 factory colour by Harley Davidson. Not very creative you may say, however I think it's pretty cool as it captures the essence of this particular motorcycle. In the shade it looks a rich burgundy colour but when in the sun it becomes a richer lighter shade of red which sparkles with golden flakes. Classic retro and gorgeous looking.

So why the attraction to a Switchback?
In the fifties Harley was famous for its Duo Glide, a full gendered motorcycle with a freight train front end, sporting sturdy cowled front forks and headlamps that evoked the strength and power to go anywhere.

In the late 70s I rode with a group of bikers. One club member rode the only Harley in our club, a Silver FLH Sport. The rider was huge and yet seemed to fit the bike perfectly. When we all took off for weekend rides this beautiful yet simple looking machine captured my attention. Different from the Japanese bikes we were all riding. The FLH kept creeping into my life on occasions: in person, in magazines, or on tv. 
I loved the style of this bike and the overall size, not too big or small but solid with its hefty front end headlamp nacelle, supported by the classic HD shrouded forks which exemplify classic Harley 50s look.


Not my first Switchback.
Three years ago I owned a beautiful 'Ember Red Sunglo Switchback' which was brilliant fun. I loved the capability of the bike. However thoughts of a larger more capable touring bike captured the imagination so I traded to a Streetglide Special. Sadly the overall weight of the bike off-set the pleasure of manoeuvrability at slower speeds and when parking up, especially as I have a serious medical foot problem. A year later I decided to go back to a Switchback. It was almost as though it has been designed specifically for me as a bespoke motorcycle as I guess, being average height and build, it is what the HD design team base their ergonomics on. I find the riding position exceptional with seat, handlebar position and rider footboards all positioned perfectly. In my experience two of the changes made by most HD riders when they get their bikes include changing the stock seats and/or handlebars, normally for comfort or ergonomics but also aesthetics. The choice and availability of aftermarket parts is mind blowing, but you soon get to know the manufacturers whose products have a great reputation.

Unbelievably before HD released the Switchback I mocked up a photo of how I would like a Dyna with the FL front end. Individuals around the world were customising there Dyna models with the same thoughts in mind. Whilst common in the Softail and Touring model lineup, the FL Nostalgic front end had eluded the Dyna lineup until the introduction of the Switchback. 

Like Marmite ....... You either love it or loathe it!
For me the 'Switchy' has got to be one of the best Harleys of all time. Versatile with quick detachable locking hard saddlebags and a quick detachable screen to keep the wind, rain and other elements off the chest. Furthermore built on the stiffer Dyna chassis the bike handles. It has rider footboards to complete its classic but functional purpose. A classic 2 into 1 exhaust elongates into a long chrome muffler. Once bags and screen are removed the stripped down 'Switchy' shows off its wonderful 1950s style with a large chrome headlamp nacelle and the chrome exposed shrouded cigar shocks at the rear. It's a feast for the eyes as it harks back to the early HD years with a real retro feel. Thankfully the ride is very modern with the Dyna rubber mounted frame supporting the 1690cc engine.

A strange breed.
Harley riders are a strange breed. The release of the Switchback had fantastic reviews from the motorcycle press globally. As with anything different some HD aficionados' opinions on the Switchback differed. I believe, as the most expensive Dyna model in the lineup, it started to compete with some of the more expensive Softail equivalents such as the Heritage Softail once a few extras are added.

Half the fun.
As with all Harleys, none appear to be the same as each owner adds their own style to personalise their own bike. Over the years I've been guilty of bolting on various shiny parts for function and looks, custom painted a few bikes as I'm a skilled airbrush artist and made bespoke custom leather hand-tooled seats and bags. An example was my Dyna Fatbob which was known as the eBay bike as I sold all take-off parts to buy better pieces to complete the project. A unique hand tooled seat with matching bags made this bike my own. Strangely once done I needed another project.

The expression: 'Chrome don't get you home'....however it sure looks good when it sparkles in sunshine!
Not one, these days, for lots of chrome trinkets I added a chrome engine kit and chrome lower forks to my bike. The standard model has a rather dull alloy finish on the key engine parts and lower forks. I'm sure HD does this on purpose as other Dyna models have chrome engine kits as standard and they make the bikes look more complete in my opinion. A quick detachable back rest for my partner to sit against when riding together allows me to share rides with her, or to be able to strip the bike down to a solo seat to ride lower and solo. Most importantly heated grips are a must for comfortable riding all year round and for serious touring journeys across country.
I have one or two other ideas which will unfold as time progresses. The possibilities for customisation are endless.

I love this bike as there is no need to go over the top customising her, although the possibilities are endless. She looks great in her current form and is predominantly designed to be ridden. Fortunately I'm living now in a country where I can ride in glorious sunshine over 300 days of the year. This has reignited my passion for life for riding whenever possible on two wheels, something I had forgotten over the last few years. Riding is such a therapy which provides such positive energy.


Comments